Colleges: Is it perfect 2400 SAT Scores, a 5.0 GPA, President of the Debate team, Captain of the Varsity Basketball team? Is that what YOU want?
Parents: Is it to get into an Ivy League college, to get married and get a great job, to make it so that you can hold your head up high among your colleagues?
Sadly, for a large majority of us, this is true. I know it may represent only some households, but it just correlates directly. For others it may be a 3.0 GPA, and for others it may be to follow the footsteps of your parents and continue their business or take up their profession. Whatever IT is, the truth is that IT exists and places pressure on us somehow, someway.
But, I believe it should be different. This may sound cliche, or idealistic, but the only expectation, the only pressure which should be upon us is to be satisfied with our own selves. As long as we can live up to our own standards, we are successful in my opinion, because in the end, it's our lives. Everyone else will come and go, and ultimately, it will only be you who remains - and at that point, it is you who must be happy.
For me, this self-expectation is high. But I define it in one way - and one way only - to be a good human being. What this means, even I am not certain. But, inside, I inherently know whether what I am doing is good or bad. Good can simply be not logging on to Facebook and finishing my homework, but it can also be making your bed in the morning, filling the car up with gas, buying a birthday present for your sibling. And bad, that can be ignoring a friend's phone call for help, or throwing away food when others are starving. Of course, these are simple, everyday examples, which I have found myself doing.
So, I think that both parents and colleges should change their expectations. And thus, the pressure will change and may altogether be removed, and we would change teenagers forever and for the better. This is what I think it should be more like:
What do you want from me?
Colleges: To be unique, interesting, a genuine person
Parents: To be happy (defined by the teenager and not the parent)
__________________________________________
Alright, this blog is about to come to an end. Just as a quick summary of my life, this weekend was pretty solid. Homework, hanging out, watching the Olympics, etc.
I also have a great song recommendation for all of you: Adam Lambert's Whataya Want From Me, and the title served as the inspiration for this blog. I don't know if you like him, but this song individually is pretty good. Good music, good lyrics.
That's been my teen life. And, I can't believe that February is almost over!
RouTeen
The Teen Routine
No comments:
Post a Comment